Passport Application


Passport Services are by appointment only; Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am-3:00 pm.

To schedule an appointment with the Shelby County Probate Clerk's Office Passport Services and/or for general information, please call 901-222-3750.

List of all Passport Acceptance Facilities by zip code.

Applying in Person

You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • You are under the age of 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under the age of 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

If none of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to Renew using Form DS-82.

*The Probate Clerk’s office does not process renewal applications.

To Apply for a US Passport, you will need:

  • Form DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport 
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship 
  • Photocopy of U.S. citizenship (if provided) 
  • Photocopy of identification (front and back) 
  • One passport photo 
  • Passport application fee 

Fill Out Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport

Download your PDF

Please Note:

Use black ink only and do not sign until instructed to do so by our clerk. You will be required to sign it in person when you bring it to the Probate Clerk's office.

  • You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
    • o If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
  • You can apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both documents using Form DS-11.
  • You may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost, by checking the 'large book' box at the top of the DS-11.

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

Full validity, undamaged U.S. passport (expired passports are accepted). Full validity means the document is/was valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16.

  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

Please note: You cannot submit digital evidence of U.S. citizenship such as a mobile or electronic birth certificate. You must submit physical evidence of U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the document.

If you were born in TN, you can order a certified copy from Tennessee Vital Records Office. If you were born outside of TN, you can order a certified copy from or

Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the U.S. citizenship evidence you’re providing to us. Our facility provides photocopies for an additional fee of $0.50 per page.

Photocopies must be:

  • Legible
  • On white 8.5”x11” standard paper
  • Black and white
  • Single sided

If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the clerk. The ID must readily identify you.

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card 
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license, or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military-dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Other documents: 1) In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo, 2) In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID with photo, or 3) temporary driver's license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these three documents. 

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.

Please note:

  • Some states now issue digital ID documents (also known as mobile driver's licenses or mobile IDs). We cannot accept these digital IDs when you apply for your U.S. passport. You must continue to submit your physical, photo ID, and a photocopy of the ID.  
  • If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID.
  • If you are changing the gender marker in your U.S. passport, please see our Selecting your Gender page.

Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of each ID that you present when you apply. Our facility provides photocopies for an additional fee of $0.50 per page.

Photocopies must be:

  • Legible
  • On white 8.5”x11” standard paper
  • Black and white
  • Single sided

You must provide one photo with your application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all photo requirements. Our facility provides photo services for an additional fee of $10. 

  • Do not attach or staple your photo to the form. The acceptance agent or passport employee accepting your form will review the photo and staple it. 

The Application Fee is payable to the U.S. Department of State (Check or Money Order ONLY).

The Execution Fee is payable to the Probate Clerk's Office (Cash, Card, or Money Order ONLY). 

Adult Applicants (Age 16 and older):

Services Provided

Application Fee

Execution Fee

Passport Book Only (Age 16 and Older



Passport Book and Card (Age 16 and Older



Passport Card Only (Age 16 and Older)



Passport Photo





$0.50 per page


Child Applicants (Age 15 and younger):

Services Provided

Application Fee

Execution Fee

Passport Book Only (Under Age 16)



Passport Book and Card (Under Age 16)



Passport Card Only (Under Age 16)



Passport Photo 





$0.50 per page

Please note: The application fee and the execution fee are paid separately.

Expedited service costs an additional $60. For information on forms of payment and a full list of fees and services, please see Passport Fees.

The U.S. Department of State will only take checks or money orders. You should bring your checkbook or money order for each applicant. 

The Shelby County Probate Clerk’s office accepts cash, debit/credit card, and money order for its fees.  

Credit Card Users

Please note there is a 2.5% processing fee to use a credit or debit card for the Application Fee and/or Photo Fee. This fee is collected by the credit processing center and is not paid to the Probate Clerk's office.

A passport will not be issued immediately. The completed application is taken to the Post Office daily to be mailed to the US Department of State Passport Services’ office. 

*Processing times do not include mailing times. Processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or applications.

Routine: 6 to 9 weeks*

Expedited: Costs an extra $60. Takes 3 to 5 weeks. *

Expedited at Agency or Center: Must have international travel in the next 14 calendar days.

For the most up-to-date processing times, please refer to

Applicants traveling in the next 72 hours (3 business days) may go to:

The passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and seaports of entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

A passport book allows you to travel to many more locations via many more modes of transportation than the passport card alone. It is possible for you to apply for or have both the passport card and the passport book, although not necessary.

Our office does not process renewal applications.

Please visit for up-to-date information regarding US Passport regulations and international travel.

To track your application status, click link below:

Track my Application Status